Ask me

This is another poem written when I was working in Palliative Care to stress the importance of being honest with patients about where they are in their illness so they can plan ahead. 


Ask me

You ask me what I’d like? Well, I’d like to be well.
But that's not what you meant, as far as I can tell.

And if I can’t be well, then I’d like to be ‘not bad’.
That covers quite a lot - with lots of joy to be had. 

Or if I’m not ‘not bad’, I’m maybe ‘getting worse’;
Although that’s not brilliant, it’s not a hopeless curse.

Though if I’m getting worse, then I really need to know - 
I’ve so much to sort out before it’s time to go.

So if you respect me, please help me understand,
Then ask me what I’d like and help me get things planned.



Rachel McCoubrie 29.3.19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

COVID #6: The morning after winter solstice

I wrote this at the end of December 2020. It had been an incredibly difficult year for everyone. The pandemic had taken its toll in so many ...

Previous posts